last goodbye last goodbye

It is a taaaaad "generic major-scale piano" in my opinion. I feel like some of the melodies are just a bit too planar. I don't know if another type of scale would've fit into the song better than this but major scales on a piano are just one of my pet peeves. However you do have a good sense as to what direction the melody should be going. It never feels like it meanders, it always has a destination and always has a purpose, which is not an easy thing to do so kudos for that.

The chords are well done. As with the melody, it has a destination and it makes a point of getting there, whether is ascending or descending, each chord feels like it belongs and there's very little repetition, which is something I admire greatly about classical music. Sounds to me like there's a key change or an accidental in there every now and again which is always cool to hear.

I have mixed feelings about the plug-in itself. Sometimes the velocity/attack and delay sounds a wee bit off. I suppose that's just the nature of recording through MIDI. Sounds a bit like the chords around the 1:40 mark are getting cut off prematurely by a millisecond or two. I reckon that's something that you'll be grow accustomed to as you experiment more with the plug-ins you're using. I feel it nearly has a Rhodes-esque quality to some of the lower tones which is pretty cool.

Overall I think this is a well constructed composition with lots of factors to listen to but I would've liked it more if the key was a bit more exotic. Good work!

(Also I noticed you uploaded this at 4:20pm. Nice one, my dude)

BlueOceans responds:

Thanks for the long, in depth review!

Yeah, this song does lean toward the side of a typical major-scale piano composition. This is almost as generic as the "study" music you find on youtube that gets millions of views. I certainly could have done more with the melodies, but I'm glad that at least the entire melodic content of the song seems purposeful.

I also love the sound of the borrowed chords :D I also used a diminished chord at some points, although that's part of the major scale.

I'm glad that someone commented on the plugin itself. Because I haven't played a real piano before, I don't know what it's actually supposed to sound like. Sure, I can listen to an infinite number of piano songs on the internet, but they've all been mixed and altered. As I continue composing with it, I'll hopefully learn how to add realism.

Thanks again for the review!

Also, I don't know what the significance of 4:20 is (can you tell me in a pm?)

_sequence/01/!%initiate#_ _sequence/01/!%initiate#_

I always love when people use analogue synths over plug-ins, it makes it that much more special imo. Talk about an ominous track. This could definitely be a final boss battle or something. Those glitchy sounds scattered throughout are such a nice touch as well. It really adds to the menace of it all. There's a nice variety of patches and sounds used here as well. Production is solid too. Overall a really excellent track, it ticks all the boxes for me. Nice work!

Azhthar responds:

Hey! Thanks a lot for the positive feedback! Didn´t have a boss fight in mind but it´s nice that it might fit. Try to listen to your track when I wake up again :)

Tundra Tundra

Production's pretty on point here, you clearly spent a lot of time on it. Really dig that sorta drill sound you have throughout it. It adds some dissonance to contrast with the mellow chords and melodies. I think it does take a little while to get into the flow of things, the kick drum in the intro sounds a bit like it's just being played randomly. I know it's not and that it's just in 7/4 but perhaps think about minimising the amount of time you have it playing by itself without a snare or hi-hat or the like. It's not really a problem but it does sound a bit funny in my opinion. Funny-sounding isn't always a fault though. Otherwise it's pretty solid. It's got a good atmosphere, there's lots going on, each part has it's own space to breathe without overcrowding each other. I dig it, nice work.

Infinite Dungeon 1 & 2 (1f1n1ty Remix) Infinite Dungeon 1 & 2 (1f1n1ty Remix)

Really don't know where to start with this one, dude. It is positively excellent. It's always really impressive to me when an artist can begin a track one way and expand over multiple ideas throughout the length of the piece. You've done this so well here, basically switching from one song to the next. It's seriously impressive so a major kudos to you there.

The atmosphere that you were able to instil is so prominent as well. The feeling of winter, snow and ice come through really well with a lot of the patches and sounds you've used here, sleighbells aside. Those syncopated chords throughout in particular really exemplify a feeling of joy and wonder.

My only criticism would be that there's so much going on that I can't pay attention to it all so picking out exactly what I like about it is very difficult. That just means that you clearly spend a lot of time crafting this, though. Exceptional stuff, my dude, keep it up.

1f1n1ty responds:

Hey! Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for the follow!

This piece was actually really special in its idea arrangement in that the remix itself is a sort of "instrumentation-slap", if you will, of an unfinished original composition, meaning I took a scrapped piece and changed all of the midis to match another piece, creating a remix, but keeping the instrumentation and general structure the same. In this way, I was able to continuously switch pieces fairly easily, since I just had to put the right midi in the right place.

The atmosphere, however, was added in after the fact. Of all of the atmospheres I have attempted in previous songs, I feel like the winter in this piece has come across the best, so glad to hear that it worked out!

The syncopated chords were an idea straight from the original piece, and they worked well in the soundtrack - why wouldn't they work well in a piece of my own?

Hey, thanks a ton for the review! I appreciate every word of it :D

Dooms3 Dooms3

Wow, this is super weird, I really dug it. All the sounds you use are super creative and are structured really well. It does sound sorta blown out but I think that's intentional and it adds to the song for me. Nice one.

Can you please me anymore Can you please me anymore

I'm afraid to say this is a pretty messy track. I'm not really a fan of the chords used but I can barely even hear them over the vocals. There's so many vocal tracks I can't understand what you're even saying. The copious amount of reverb makes it even more indecipherable. You're just kinda talking over yourself in different voices to the point that it's a little bit difficult to listen to. The harmonies that come about forty seconds in are nice but again are just drowned out by the rest of the vocals which are a lot less nice. I think you really gotta strip down the vocal layers. I reckon you maybe don't like your voice or something so you're trying to cover it up by putting on a silly accent or hiding it with other vocals but it just ends up being cacophonous. I do it too so it's easy enough for me to spot. In the future you gotta really, really minimise the number of vocal tracks you have and the effects on them. You may not like the sound of it but it'll be a whole lot better than just covering it up with noise. Keep trying.

OS01 - Awakening OS01 - Awakening

Not too shabby. I definitely get pangs of MGS 1 from this. The sounds are good. The strings and choir patches have a nice characteristically synthetic sound to them. The song goes places, it doesn't just stay in the one chord sequence or melody. I like the addition of the 8bit lead halfway through and the bitcrushed snare, it's a nice retro throwback even further from the PS1/PS2 era I'm suspecting this track is trying to replicate. I'm a bit sceptical on those xylophones tho. They're a bit cornier than the rest of this track. Otherwise I quite like it, I'd be interested to know what the game it's from was going to be.

Dream [Progressive House] Dream [Progressive House]

I would consider this to be more EDM than house if I'm honest. House to me would be something like Theo Parrish or Floating Points. That's just me nit picking tho, it doesn't have any actual bearing on the song which is pretty well made. Your production is on point, the sounds/patches/plug-ins you use are decent, it builds and travels well. It's a wee bit repetitive but isn't long enough for it to be an issue. My main problem with it would be that it's too major-ey. The chords and the melody are suuuper upbeat and happy. That's what you're going for so I can't really critique you too hard on that. I would definitely recommend you consider experimenting with different chords and cadences to jazz up your sound a bit more, add some sour to dat sweet. But overall a decent track with some good production, nice one.

Early Morning Mist Early Morning Mist

Good atmosphere to begin with, those heavy instruments (sonically, not physically) definitely set a sticky tone. I like that low descending bassline. However, it begins to falter when the drums come in. Not gonna lie, those are some pretty dodgy drum sounds. I feel like jazzy drums could fit very well in this track but as long as you make them sound right. I don't really know FL but I'm sure you can download different (and more authentic) drum samples than what came with it, which is what it sounds like you did. The melodies that come afterwards range between quite creepy and daunting to fairly muddy and difficult to distinguish. It begins to sound like Fur Alise but then sorta gets drowned out in the rest of the noises. This ain't bad tho, you have a good idea of how you want it to sound, which is half the work, really. Keep it up!

bestiebest responds:

Tyanks for the review, and yes, I need new dums. The default FLStudio ones SUCK, but I never realised just how much they sucked.

Also, the creepiness was definatly intended. I'm glad it came out that way.

I'll also work on mixing the audio better than what I did, it seems like that's the reason it failed. Thanks for the review!

Good_Bye_World Good_Bye_World

Very promising, that high pitched 8-bit melody in the second half works nicely. I do feel like the drums could build more. The minimalism of them during the initial part is good; gives the track a chance to breathe and develop, but they could be doing some way more interesting stuff as the track progresses. Pretty good so far tho, good job homey.