Face Melter Face Melter

looks sick, i particularly like the yellow guy with the blue face coming out of his nose, interested to see the final product.

Silhouettes in Oslo Silhouettes in Oslo

It's certainly an ambitious video and you got some stuff right but you also got some stuff not-so right.

For example, some of the effects (ie. slowing down/speeding up) worked out well and I liked the whole concept of the journey getting to the subway.

That being said, there were a few things that didn't look so great. The camera was shaky at a few moments, most noticeably around the 2:50 mark, when you're running, which isn't an easy thing to do with a camera. Usually a camera crew would use some sort of a crane when following a actor who's running but I understand that you're just using the limited means at your disposal. Also the lighting is pretty ugly at times. You can solve this by shooting at day or by getting a couple of lamps to light up the room that you're in.

As I said, it's an ambitious video and it's good that you're even attempting to make one such as this but Newgrounds is a site for animation. There may be a couple videos here and there that break that rule but generally all videos on the site are some sort of cartoon. If it's not already, then I suggest you upload it to sites like Youtube or Vimeo and see how you do there.

Rawnern responds:

I'm All Alone I'm All Alone

I like the song however it's not really an animation, it's just a still image with the lyrics on screen. I'd recommend posting the song in the Audio portal if you want people to listen to it.

sblofficial responds:

thanks for the suggestion. please look for the next video, that should be arriving soon...the title is Elmendorf

Flappy Cat Flappy Cat

It's cool that you've actually learnt how to program flappy bird, I know I couldn't do that. Buuuut you did just rob the idea from an already existing game (that got taken off the app store for plagarism, funnily enough.) Putting that aside, there's no animation, you just used the default sprite from Scratch and the art is quite poor. As an experiment it works, as a finished piece it does not. Keep working on it tho, it takes a few limetimes to get good at something.

Also, may I advise that you don't use Scratch. It's a pretty inefficent tool to use and doesn't really train you how to make things outside of scratch. Flash is a much better program and is what most people making web games use. I'm not a game designer tho, I'm sure someone else could recommend something more suitable.

Gabrielawesome responds:

thanks for the good feedback! I can make games on other engines like gamemaker and stuff. this was only a test to see how it went

last goodbye last goodbye

It is a taaaaad "generic major-scale piano" in my opinion. I feel like some of the melodies are just a bit too planar. I don't know if another type of scale would've fit into the song better than this but major scales on a piano are just one of my pet peeves. However you do have a good sense as to what direction the melody should be going. It never feels like it meanders, it always has a destination and always has a purpose, which is not an easy thing to do so kudos for that.

The chords are well done. As with the melody, it has a destination and it makes a point of getting there, whether is ascending or descending, each chord feels like it belongs and there's very little repetition, which is something I admire greatly about classical music. Sounds to me like there's a key change or an accidental in there every now and again which is always cool to hear.

I have mixed feelings about the plug-in itself. Sometimes the velocity/attack and delay sounds a wee bit off. I suppose that's just the nature of recording through MIDI. Sounds a bit like the chords around the 1:40 mark are getting cut off prematurely by a millisecond or two. I reckon that's something that you'll be grow accustomed to as you experiment more with the plug-ins you're using. I feel it nearly has a Rhodes-esque quality to some of the lower tones which is pretty cool.

Overall I think this is a well constructed composition with lots of factors to listen to but I would've liked it more if the key was a bit more exotic. Good work!

(Also I noticed you uploaded this at 4:20pm. Nice one, my dude)

BlueOceans responds:

Thanks for the long, in depth review!

Yeah, this song does lean toward the side of a typical major-scale piano composition. This is almost as generic as the "study" music you find on youtube that gets millions of views. I certainly could have done more with the melodies, but I'm glad that at least the entire melodic content of the song seems purposeful.

I also love the sound of the borrowed chords :D I also used a diminished chord at some points, although that's part of the major scale.

I'm glad that someone commented on the plugin itself. Because I haven't played a real piano before, I don't know what it's actually supposed to sound like. Sure, I can listen to an infinite number of piano songs on the internet, but they've all been mixed and altered. As I continue composing with it, I'll hopefully learn how to add realism.

Thanks again for the review!

Also, I don't know what the significance of 4:20 is (can you tell me in a pm?)

_sequence/01/!%initiate#_ _sequence/01/!%initiate#_

I always love when people use analogue synths over plug-ins, it makes it that much more special imo. Talk about an ominous track. This could definitely be a final boss battle or something. Those glitchy sounds scattered throughout are such a nice touch as well. It really adds to the menace of it all. There's a nice variety of patches and sounds used here as well. Production is solid too. Overall a really excellent track, it ticks all the boxes for me. Nice work!

Azhthar responds:

Hey! Thanks a lot for the positive feedback! Didn´t have a boss fight in mind but it´s nice that it might fit. Try to listen to your track when I wake up again :)

Tundra Tundra

Production's pretty on point here, you clearly spent a lot of time on it. Really dig that sorta drill sound you have throughout it. It adds some dissonance to contrast with the mellow chords and melodies. I think it does take a little while to get into the flow of things, the kick drum in the intro sounds a bit like it's just being played randomly. I know it's not and that it's just in 7/4 but perhaps think about minimising the amount of time you have it playing by itself without a snare or hi-hat or the like. It's not really a problem but it does sound a bit funny in my opinion. Funny-sounding isn't always a fault though. Otherwise it's pretty solid. It's got a good atmosphere, there's lots going on, each part has it's own space to breathe without overcrowding each other. I dig it, nice work.

Day #218 - Bowser クッパ Day #218 - Bowser クッパ

I'm really liking all your pixel art but I think this is my favourite one so far. The amount of detail and shading you managed to fit in is really impressive. Nice work!

Surge Surge

Another really pretty piece, your colours are always so vibrant and lovely. I will say that the quality of this (and I feel in some of your other pieces too) is not so great. Idk if you're scanning them or what but it's a real shame that your pictures are frequently a little fuzzy, you should get onto fixing that pronto. Otherwise it's super nice.

MintyFreshThoughts responds:

Thanks for the feedback! I will try and make the overall image quality a bit better. It must be my scanner or something.

Otus the Owlboy Title Screen Otus the Owlboy Title Screen

Diggin those scanlines and the curvature of the edges of the frame, hombré. It's a groovy piece for sure. I dig

ScepterDPinoy responds:

I usually dig the retro detail of pixel art. Thank you.